You may be also interested in the instructions how to sell bitcoins using ATM.
WARNING: When someone asks or forces you to use a bitcoin ATM — BEWARE OF SCAMS. They might pretend to be from revenue agency, social security agency, utility companies or any other official authority (even falsifying the phone number they call from). Don’t fall for these scams. Read more details.
In order to buy bitcoins using a bitcoin ATM you need to find the closest to you location and understand what kind of machine it is. Asking yourself where is closest bitcoin ATM near me? To find all locations – visit our bitcoin machines map. At the moment there are about 30 different types of bitcoin ATMs with about 20 manufacturers having their units actually installed somewhere. It may be difficult for an average user to understand how to buy bitcoins by using a bitcoin ATM and what are the differences among various ATMs.
In this article we describe a bitcoin purchase process for 6 different mostly installed bitcoin ATMs in the world (they cover about 90% of the market altogether) and two more types, which were popular before and now are rarely used (Skyhook and Robocoin):
- Genesis1 machine from Genesis Coin
- Satoshi1 or Satoshi2 machine from Genesis Coin
- General Bytes BATMTwo (one-way)
- General Bytes BATMThree (two-way)
There is a general buy process at all bitcoin ATMs:
- Verification step (optional and may vary substantially depending on machine’s type)
- Provide bitcoin address for deposit (optionally can be generated and printed/emailed at some ATMs on the fly, but better to have your own with you before using a machine)
- Insert cash into the ATM
- Confirm operation (bitcoins sent to your bitcoin address at this moment)
This process may vary from ATM to ATM, and this is what we describe for every of the mentioned above bitcoin ATM types. It is important to understand that even when machine’s software/hardware support compliance procedures, they are not necessarily activated, as it depends on the operator choice of every particular machine. That is why the same type of machine might have different verifications and limits set up.